There’s nothing quite like fully immersing yourself in your spa, allowing the warm and bubbling water to reach your chin, and enjoying that feeling of complete, full-body relaxation. In high-end spa pools, like the majority of the Hot Spring range, you’ll find a little helper that allows you to lean right back and sink deeper into your soak: a purpose-built spa headrest.
Nothing lasts forever, particularly in a spa pool. Even the highest quality hot tub pillows will eventually degrade through exposure to chemicals and the elements. If your spa headrests begin to look tatty, if you see holes, cracks, tears, fading, bleaching, flakiness or any other signs of deterioration, it may be time to replace them.
Here’s all you need to know about cleaning, maintaining and replacing hot tub pillows.
How do you clean a hot tub pillow?
Hot Spring spa pillows provide years of comfort, provided they are treated with care. They have been positioned above the water level to minimise the bleaching and degrading effects of chlorinated water and spa pool chemicals.
In order to last as long as possible, spa pool pillows, like the rest of your spa pool, should be cleaned regularly. A quick clean once a week will keep them looking and feeling fresh, and a deeper scrub once every few months, when you drain and refill your spa pool, will guard against deeper stains.
Body oils can be removed with a mild soap and water solution. During this process you should always rinse off the spa pillows thoroughly to remove any soap residue. It’s also wise to condition the pillows with Hot Spring Cover Shield after cleaning.
If you don’t plan to use your spa pool for a while, whether due to a holiday or a winter hibernation, it’s wise to temporarily remove the spa pillows, and reinstall them when the spa is next in use.
How long do hot tub pillows last?
The question of how long hot tub pillows last is a little like ‘how long is a piece of string?’ But with proper care, you can expect them to last many years.
Hot tub pillows aren’t made of the same stiff and robust materials as the rest of your spa, like the shell and cabinetry. That said, while they are squishy foam wrapped in comfortable fabric, they’re strong in their own way. They are UV, water and chemical resistant, and designed to last in the unique conditions served up by an outdoor hot tub.
When you care for your spa pool correctly, you’ll ensure your spa headrests last as long as possible. By ensuring your water is always soft, fresh and clean, by placing a cover on your spa pool whenever it’s not in use, and by cleaning your spa (including the headrests) regularly, you’ll ensure they last the distance.
The soft and pliable nature of the pillows mean that they are unlikely to last the lifetime of your Hot Spring spa – our spa pools can last decades with proper care – which is why we offer hot tub replacement pillows.
When should I replace my hot tub pillow?
There are a few signs that the time has come to invest in a spa headrest replacement.
- The material is looking tired: Look for signs of deterioration in your spa pool headrests: if there are cracks, tears or brittle patches, if material is flaking off, or if the colour appears to be faded or bleached.
- The foam is waterlogged: The foam found within Hot Spring hot tub replacement pillows is wrapped in a waterproof barrier, so should stay dry. If the pillow is waterlogged it will need to be replaced, not least because it makes for a slightly uncomfortable soak.
- The pillow is out-of-shape: Hot Spring spa headrest replacement pillows are also made of a memory foam that is designed to retain its shape. If the pillow begins to show dents, dimples or depressions, it may be time to replace it.
How do you replace a spa headrest?
No matter what brand of spa you have, whether you’re looking to do a Hot Spring or a Jacuzzi hot tub pillow replacement, the basic steps tend to be the same.
On a Hot Spring the process couldn’t be easier, as our pillows are held in place by a pair of simple clips. To complete your spa headrest replacement simply follow the steps below:
- Carefully pull and lift on one end of the pillow to stretch the pillow until it is released from the plastic retainer. Once one end is released, push the pillow in the opposite direction to remove from the other retainer.
- Align the pillow by locating the arrow on the back side of the pillow so that it faces up.
- Slide one end of the pillow onto the spa retainer.
- Pull the other end of the pillow. Use both hands to lift the pillow above the retainer, and with a stretching motion, slide the pillow recess onto the retainer.
It’s as easy as that! You now have a brand new hot tub pillow ready to cradle your head and neck as you lean back into your soak.
The Hot Spring difference
At Hot Spring we place quality above all else. All of our products, from spa pools to hot tub replacement pillows, are built for comfort and built to last.
The good news is that you don’t have to take our word for it. Pop into your nearest local dealer – our network stretches up and down the country – to see why Hot Spring is New Zealand’s favourite spa pool brand.
What’s more, you can even try before you buy! Click here to book in your test soak today.